Thursday, April 24, 2014

Still Searching For The Perfect Pepper Grinder

If anybody has a suggestion for a brand of pepper (salt too) mill that they really like, I would just love to know. I used to have one, surprisingly a cheap acrylic thing of unknown brand given to me long ago. It might have been cheap, but that grinder could navigate any size grind from the finest bits to big coarse cracks of pepper. Sadly, after many years of faithful service, it cracked its last pepper when the grinder itself cracked in half.

Not being particularly attractive, that grinder was confined to kitchen use, while a succession of Peugeot mills has adorned the dining table. I've always heard that Peugeot is the best, and while mine have always done well for fine to medium grinds, I've never been able to get a good coarse grind out of one. Seeking advice, I actually asked some time ago at the legendary Paris cooking supply store frequented by Julia Child, E. Dehillerin, and was told again that Peugeot is the only way to go.

So when I needed a new grinder set for the kitchen recently, I decided to experiment with going cheaper again, given the success of that original acrylic one of unknown brand. I picked up salt and pepper grinders by Cole & Mason, a British brand, that were quite inexpensive at Bed, Bath and Beyond (of course using their ubiquitous coupon with the expiration date they never care about). My new grinders can crack up a storm of coarse grinds, but I haven't been able to get them to deliver a fine one. At least now, between the Peugeot and the Cole & Mason, I can get the full spectrum from coarse to fine, but I'd so love to find that in just one grinder, like my faithful old acrylic one used to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment