Thursday, July 26, 2012

News From Sunflower

I've been opining about the arrival of prepackaged organic veggies at Sunflower, but the good news is that, at least today, they still had those same veggies available for you to choose individually, too.  The pricing cuts both ways.  I picked up a six-pack of organic romas, which was on sale for $2.50, because my menu plans happen to be able to accommodate six tomatoes quite quickly, while they'll still be good.  This was fortunate timing, as my $2.50 six-pack weighed in at 1.5 pounds, while the price for the loose romas was $2.99 a pound, so those of you with a bit of a mind for math will quickly recognize how good the prepackaged deal was for me.  Not necessarily so for the three-packs of organic zucchini at $2.50 each; the one I picked up weighed just a little over a pound (that's another issue - one would assume these packages must vary a bit in weight), while the bulk price was $1.99 a pound.  A close call, with bulk probably the cheaper price.

The other news is that I chatted with one of the Sunflower employees, who's under the impression that our Boulder Sunflower will become a Sprouts next week.  We've certainly been watching the underpinnings of this happening, as sales have increasingly merged and Sunflower has switched to Sprouts' fish provider.  But it seems like there's still lots more to happen than just hanging a Sprouts sign out in front.  Sunflower still seems to have quite a few of their own brand name products in the store, and I'm especially wondering what's going to become of the whole wheat organic pasta I've been buying for years for cheap at Sunflower, for which I've never seen anything comparable at Sprouts.  Keeping in mind the comment of one Sunflower employee I overheard this afternoon, "Change is good."

No comments:

Post a Comment