Sunday, December 15, 2013

Weekday Dinner Ideas

This is all so simple and barely roughed out, I probably shouldn't post at all.  But it's also closer to the origins of this blog, when friends asked me to share my simple weekly dinner plans inspired by the best local natural foods sales, recipes often not needed.  (Somehow posting publicly has caused me to morph into more complicated planning.)  So here goes.

Tomorrow will be super simple, great for the busy holiday season.  I'll grab the fresh Market Made pizza that's 40% off at Whole Foods through today for tomorrow night's dinner.  Dressing up the cheese one with some Yves veggie pepperoni and some mushrooms makes for a super easy meal.

Tuesday will be a stir fry over brown rice or soba noodles, the driving force in the stir fry being lots of organic broccoli that's just 98 cents a pound at Sprouts through Wednesday.  The protein will be either diced boneless center-cut pork chops that are just $1.99 a pound through Wednesday at Sprouts, or more likely Lucky's fine antibiotic-free boneless skinless chicken breast, since I've accumulated quite a few of them in my freezer from their recent spectacular $1.99 a pound sales (not currently happening).

Wednesday we'll do our usual reheat of something big, which this week is the smoky split pea and root vegetable soup originally published in Bon Appetit's Christmas book.  Ironic that it's the highlight of the Carolers' Warm-Up dinner in the book, when midweek we're expected to be in the 60s.

Thursday will be simple too, probably the pork chops that are on sale for so cheap at Sprouts through Wednesday if I put chicken in Tuesday's stir fry, or sauteed chicken breasts from my freezer with the mushroom sauce I've mentioned frequently from Cooking Light if I put pork in Tuesday's stir fry.

As an aside, my family will probably never be allowed to set foot in Italy again.  Having stocked up amply on authentic Parmigiano Reggiano during Whole Foods' previously mentioned spectacular half price sale that happened Friday, last night we committed the heresy of grating it over our scallop pasta.  Italians may say that cheese should never be matched with seafood, but I say it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment