Friday, February 26, 2010

Some Dinner Ideas

Kind of a crazy week ahead warping my dinner plans a bit, but here's a start on the ideas.

Wild salmon is always good, and Whole Foods has sockeye at $10.99/lb (not as good as last week's deals elsewhere, but still okay). I'm thinking of experimenting with something I found in the first issue of my new Food and Wine subscription, chipotle-rubbed salmon tacos with apple-cucumber salsa. Sounds fresh, light, and heart-healthy, maybe with some cilantro rice on the side. Think I'll skip the orange zest and sugar part, though, and will look for an already cut cabbage to get just part of it.

Chicken sausage is $2.99/lb this week at both Sprouts and Sunflower, and organic romas are $1/lb at both Sunflower and Whole Foods, so that brings to mind, Cooking Light's sausage pizza. Organic leaf lettuce is $1 a head at Sunflower for the side salad, and Sprouts has 77 cent avocados. Whole Foods has the most wonderful fresh multigrain dough (and a white version as well). I'll use a whole big ball to fill an entire cookie sheet, increasing the toppings accordingly. Weird thing is that I'll substitute chicken breast ($1.67/lb at Sprouts, $1.77/lb at Sunflower) for the sausage, since I want to use the sausage the next night.

Okay, looking for a quick but tasty dinner, now I'm on to the chicken sausage. Polenta makes the fastest, nearly indestructible side, despite its reputation for being tricky. Buy the polenta cheaply from the bulk aisle, and whisk 1 cup into 3 cups of boiling broth/milk/water. Finish by mixing in a bit of grated cheese, maybe parmesan or something smoked, when the polenta has thickened. Asparagus is 97 cents a pound at Sunflower for a side.

More ideas soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment