Saturday, May 1, 2010

What's Happening at the Boulder Farmers Market Today

Crops of course change as slowly as the seasons, so last week's report on what I found at my favorite organic farm stands at the Boulder Farmers Market largely still holds. Plenty of spinach, braising mix, and onions to be found. Here are some of the notable differences I saw. Isabelle Farm has added chard and collard greens, and their vegetable signage is now subtitled in French. Nice touch, but I wonder why. I didn't see any green garlic, that I've enjoyed so much for the past two weeks, at Red Wagon Organic Farm, but perhaps they sold out before I got there. The big news is that Cure Organic Farm has added pea shoots, and I think this might be the first week they've offered arugula. Abbondanza again has roasted green chilies from last fall harvest, if you don't still have some in your freezer. Even cooler, in addition to last week's Big Jims, the type most commonly seen around here, this week they have poblanos and Joe Parkers. I love it when a vendor appreciates the differences among the various types of chilies, something I've never been able to find at our big store's annual fall roasting, where they've never even been able to identify what variety they're carrying. Finally, horrors, after carrying mint previously, on Kentucky Derby day, Black Cat has none. They do have mache, burdock, and rapini, in addition to the usual suspects. They're also the first I've seen to offer "lil' radishes," but were sold out by the time I arrived. Here's to spring, and happy May Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment