Friday, February 15, 2013

Weekend Dinner Ideas

Usually I look pretty much exclusively to our natural grocery sales for inspiration for weekly cooking ideas, but this week is a little different.  I've just finished pulling together my picks from recent magazines and the like, so I'm trying to mesh those interests with the current sales.  Here's what looks on deck for the weekend.

With the lobster tails at $6 each announced in the new Whole Foods sale on Wednesday, we quickly veered in that direction instead of salmon for Valentine's Day yesterday.  That means salmon is still an option for tonight, and I'm interested in trying out an Asian-style recipe, seared salmon with soy-ginger noodles and vegetables from the Whole Foods website.  I might be looking at Whole Foods for the recipe, but I'll be checking out the previously frozen sockeye at Sprouts for $7.99 for the salmon.  I'd also use some fresh ginger and the reduced sodium tamari I always have instead of the soy-ginger sauce.

For tomorrow, we escaped steaks for Valentine's Day, but I'm still thinking about the boneless ribeyes at Sprouts for $6.99 a pound, so I'll probably cave.  They don't need much fiddling with, but an intriguing recipe for pan-seared steak with chive-horseradish butter from the current issue of Cooking Light is tempting me.  The magazine includes a recipe for roasted sweet potatoes and broccolini for a great-sounding side, but the web recipe unfortunately doesn't link to it.

For Sunday, we'll compensate for the steak indulgence by doing a vegetarian dish, fettucine with tomato-cream sauce, another new one from Cooking Light.  At least the cream cheese is reduced fat, and if you're not already stocked up on organic canned tomatoes, Vitamin Cottage has 28 ounce Muir Glens for the excellent price of $1.79 a can.

No comments:

Post a Comment