Friday, February 22, 2013

Weekend Dinner Ideas

This was going to be quick, but now it's going to be even quicker, because my laptop did one of its bog down deals, requiring a lengthy restart that just ate almost every second of my available time.

Tonight - celebrating the Whole Foods sale on very fine lobster tails at $6 each through the 26th with a dinner fit for New Year's Eve, so why not even better for a mundane Friday:  creamy lobster pappardelle from Cooking Light.  Shellfish isn't exactly low in cholesterol, and pappardelle is almost always an egg-rich pasta, plus there's a dab of cream in the recipe, so I'll seek out the no-yolk wide noodles I can find at Safeway.  I know them by sight, rather than remembering the brand, and I wish Whole Foods would bring them back, as they used to carry them also.

Tomorrow, we'll do some variation using the boneless beef short ribs that are $3.99 a pound at Sprouts.  They'll probably go in the oven with a brush of bbq sauce, with winter veggies to roast on the side.  I was also going to recommend a Mark Bittman recipe as a possibility, but I don't have time to recover the link I had up when I had to restart.

We're not big on Oscars partying for Sunday (look a few posts below for guide recommendations on that), so instead, we'll do a big chowder that can also serve as an easy midweek reheat.  With previously frozen wild Alaskan cod fillets at an all time low of $4.99 a pound through Wednesday, this week it will be corn and cod chowder from Food and Wine magazine.  This recipe in my mind benefits from some lightening, using half and half instead of heavy cream, and carefully substituting nonfat for regular milk (no boiling, or it will curdle).

Which gets us through a post I expected to do in ten minutes, but instead took almost 50 because of my increasingly irritating laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment