Sunday, March 17, 2013

Saint Patrick's Dinner And Beyond

Happy Saint Paddy's (or Patty's) Day!  In anticipation of tonight's carnivorous feast, we've been eating lightly this weekend, doing salmon and a veggie-filled fritatta.  But tonight's the night to go all out with a gorgeous corned beef from Whole Foods.  I love its ingredient list, with nothing but easily recognizable corning spices like mustard seed, unlike the list on corned beef from other stores.  I usually shop more than one store in any given week, and this week's a prime example of it.  That corned beef will be Whole Foods, but I'll definitely head to Sprouts for items like organic green cabbage at a stunning 19 cents a pound.  Mine's a simple and classic dinner, the one time of year I break out my old Joy of Cooking to do its New England boiled dinner (yup, that's what my corned beef dish with cabbage, parsnips, carrots, and the like is called).  For more adventurous fare, look several posts below for the one on guides for Saint Patrick's planning.

We'll make amends tomorrow by going vegetarian, doing fettuccine with tomato-cream sauce, a highly successful recipe I recently tried for the first time from Cooking Light.

We'll keep things simple and fairly light for Tuesday with sauteed chicken sausages ($2.99 a pound at Sprouts through Wednesday) and polenta, which is so simple to make from scratch using the quick cooking grits available in Whole Foods' bulk aisle.

Wednesday will be our reheat day this week, which will be a reprise of that big corned beef dinner.

With corned beef on the menu twice, plus some corned beef sandwiches for lunch, we'll stay on the lighter side again for Thursday, with shrimp and corn pilaf from Bon Appetit.  If I'm lucky, I'll catch some still-frozen shrimp today on the last day of Sprouts' 72 hour sale, when 41/50 count ones are $3.99 a pound, so that I can keep them in the freezer until needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment