Wednesday, March 6, 2013

This Week's Hot Grocery Deals (IMHO)

We have a new sale starting today at our Boulder and Longmont Sprouts stores, while the current one continues through March 12th at Whole Foods (click for my prior report).  I'll bet there's also something new happening at Vitamin Cottage that I'll want to check out.  Meanwhile, here's what's looking particularly good to me, IMHO as always.

While I usually focus on organic produce, plus meat and seafood, the thing that's really catching my eye at Sprouts' new sale through March 13th is conventional asparagus for a stunning 88 cents a pound.  Hope that means an early entry into our spring asparagus season, but with it selling at Sprouts for $4.99 a pound two days ago (I know because a family member requested some), that's a precipitous drop.  In fish, they're doing a Wild Caught Seafood Spectacular, including flash-frozen ahi tuna or swordfish steaks for $7.99 a pound (I once found the sale swordfish to be from the USA, and it was fabulous, but I think that was a rarity for this kind of sale), Alaskan cod fillets or huge 16/20 count raw shrimp for $6.99 a pound, colossal (and they're big!) sea scallops for $9.99 a pound, and Alaskan king crab legs or sockeye salmon fillets also $9.99 a pound.  In meat, for my own particular taste, I'm liking Sprouts' own stuffed chicken breasts at $2.99 a pound, beef stew meat at $3.99 a pound, and parmesan or Italian chicken sausage at $2.99 a pound.

In organic produce at Sprouts, select Earthbound Farm salads remain BOGO this week (as do some other products, see below), one pound bags of baby carrots have dropped back down to $1.25 (yay! $1.99 elsewhere), cauliflower is $1.99 a pound, pints of grape tomatoes are $2 ($3 for 10 ounces at Whole Foods, hard to compare), garnet yams are $1.25 a pound, bulk spring mix remains at an excellent $3.99 a pound, iceberg lettuce is intriguing at $1.99 a head (retro salad wedges on deck?), and there are several organic apple, pear and orange specials.  Sprouts is also continuing some of last week's BOGO enthusiasm, and I'm noting Sabra Hummus, Stonyfield organic Greek yogurts, Fage Greek yogurts, and Lundberg rice chips or cakes among the BOGO offerings.

Lastly, or perhaps first, Sprouts is supporting Autism Speaks, with an invitation to donate to support autism awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment