Friday, March 1, 2013

Weekend Dinner Ideas

Happy March!  Some quick notes about dinner plans, as we warm up and the snow disappears.  I'm always in favor of fish, and the Lenten tradition of having it on Fridays is just another excuse to enjoy it (this is supposed to be a hardship?), despite my having given up the faith it comes from many years ago.  So for tonight, I'm looking at shrimp Florentine pasta from Cooking Light.  Sprouts has smallish (fine for this) 41/50 count ez peel raw shrimp at $5.99 a pound, and Whole Foods has easy peels for $7.99 a pound, although the size isn't specified in the flier, but always good provenance there.

For tomorrow, with such warm temps expected, I'll send the family griller out into the dark to grill some of the halibut Whole Foods has on sale for $18.99 a pound.  I know that sounds like a lot, but halibut is sooo good, and in my mind, should be done as simply as possible.  Without other significant cooking duties (I'll do some special and easy Lundberg rice blend like Black Japonica for a small starch side), I'm planning a reprise of the kale and Brussels sprouts salad from Bon Appetit that was such a surprise success at Thanksgiving.  My thinking about this was inspired by Sprouts having organic lacinato kale (also known as Tuscan, as called for in the recipe) for $1.50 a bunch this week.

We'll also visit Tuscany for Sunday.  The sales at both Sprouts and Whole Foods this week on pork shoulder roast have me thinking about a very successful slow cooker recipe I haven't made in a couple of years, slow-cooked Tuscan pork with white beans from Cooking Light.  Sprouts has the pork roast on sale for a very low $1.99 a pound, but I'd give serious consideration to the very fine American Homestead roast that Whole Foods has on sale for $2.99 a pound.

Which gets us through what's looking to be a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment