Thursday, May 1, 2014

Fun Already With Red Wagon CSA

I've recently mentioned I decided to take the plunge and try out a CSA from one of my favorite places, Red Wagon Organic Farm. The CSA deliveries don't start until later this month, but to get folks enthused (and perhaps a bit educated), Red Wagon hosted an open house today where we got to pick our own veggies in the fields. Four items were available, and we learned how to harvest each in the process: spinach (just pick the leaves), arugula ("give it a haircut" with the harvesting knives they had available), radishes (check the radish peeking from the dirt to determine size to see if it's big enough to pull out), and Egyptian walking onions (stick the shovel in straight down next to the cluster, lift it up, then shake off the dirt). Now I have my first batch of veggies to deal with where they don't entirely fit in the weekend dinner plans that I was starting to form. Strange new world ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment