Friday, January 22, 2010

A Few Dinner Thoughts

Am behind getting my planning together for dinners for the week, but here are a few thoughts.

With mahi mahi on sale at Sprouts, I'm thinking it's time for fish tacos. My favorite recipe is a well-worn one from Gourmet that adds heat with chipotle, their crispy snapper tacos. I adjust it liberally, totally skipping frying the taco shells (yuck), using my fish of preference, and usually a bottled or prepared fresh salsa. With organic romas on sale at Sunflower for 99 cents a pound, a side salad with lots of them and avocado would be nice.

Pork is a pretty good deal this week, so I've also been thinking in that direction. Sprouts has country style ribs for only $1 a pound, which reminded me of a variant of a recipe from Cooking Light, slow-cooked Tuscan pork with white beans. It could be made with the country style ribs for a super budget meal. A leaner, but also cheap alternative might be to use pork tenderloin, on sale at both Sunflower and Sprouts for $3.99/lb.

At some point soon, I'm also going to use my previously mentioned Modmarket coupon (look in the "dining" group) to get flatbread pizzas as buy one, get one free. Two people can share a large salad and have $2 glasses of wine, what a deal.

More thoughts soon on capitalizing further on the 99 cent romas and $1.77/lb asparagus at Sunflower. Also working on more pork, salmon, and quinoa ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eileen,
    Sorry to use the comment field for this. I like your concept and would like to talk to you, but I cannot find any contact information on your website. I run Boulder Eats, a Boulder Restaurant Guide and would like to talk to you.
    Thanks, Brian
    brian@boulder-restaurants.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian. No problem at all about the comment field, and I've sent a separate email in reply. Thanks for checking out the blog! Eileen

    ReplyDelete