Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Thoughts for Upcoming Dinners

Wow, so much to choose from this week. I'm thinking I'll start with the turkey tenderloin that's $2.99/lb at Whole Foods. Since I don't usually cook that, I checked a few websites and found a recipe from Whole Foods itself to be the most appealing, and also seasonal: this baked turkey tenderloin with winter squash. I also want to use Sprouts' $3.99/lb shrimp, which brings to mind a favorite recipe from Bon Appetit, smoky shrimp and halibut stew. Besides the inexpensive shrimp, to make it even cheaper, instead of pricey halibut I'll substitute the frozen cod I bought last week for nearly half price at Whole Foods. I'll also lighten it up by using only a couple of pieces of bacon for flavor (okay, maybe three or four, but not half a pound). This recipe makes plenty to serve as an easy second dinner later in the week. I also want to do something vegetarian, incorporating the $1/lb organic romas at Sunflower and the organic arugula at the Pearl Street Whole Foods, so we'll probably try orecchiette with mushrooms, arugula, and tomatoes, published in Bon Appetit but new to me. The recipe calls for brie, but I'll probably substitute from my refrigerator, since I have ricotta and parmesan already waiting to be used. Interesting looking at the comments on that recipe; people either love it or hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment