Monday, August 2, 2010

More Dinners For This Week

Perhaps it's the August doldrums hitting, but I just don't seem to be enthused about planning and cooking a slew of food this week. I've already made one dinner easy with a big chowder on the weekend that can be a quick midweek reheat, and I have a couple of other quick ideas, so here goes.

First of all, we have lots of organic green beans to deal with, originally from Whole Foods' one-day sale last week, and the few I still had left from that were supplemented yesterday from the $1.99/lb sale at the Pearl Street store. That brings to mind a standby without a link, since it is from my favorite old cookbook, Jane Brody's Good Food Book. She gives it the humble title of ground beef and green beans, and it's simply a quick stir fry of burger, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and a whole bunch of green beans, topped with a bit of sauce composed of soy sauce, a bit of broth, cornstarch, and a touch of vinegar. I serve the whole thing over brown rice, and you have everything you need in one dish.

As mentioned above, I have a big pot of corn chowder from the weekend that can be a quick midweek reheat, accompanied by a big salad and my favorite homemade buttermilk dressing.

Then, as if we haven't been lazy enough, one of these midweek nights we might just use a coupon for Modmarket, either the BOGO flatbread pizza deal or the bottle of Barefoot wine and a M'rita pizza for $10 coupon.

That still leaves me short a dinner, even with all that cheating, but maybe my cooking energy with return within the next day or two. If not, some takeout from KT's BBQ has been floating around in the back of my mind all summer, and it just might be time...

No comments:

Post a Comment