Sunday, March 18, 2012

Weekday Dinner Ideas

Good morning on a glorious Boulder Sunday, although I hear it might get pretty breezy this afternoon. In any case, it's time to get going with dinner plans for the rest of the week. It's a week when our natural grocery stores are featuring a lot of ground meats, so that's influencing my thinking. For tomorrow night, I'll take advantage of the ground turkey that Sunflower has for just $1.99 a pound to make my own version of the Hatch chile burgers that Whole Foods sells during the fall roasting season. All I have to do is defrost and dice some of my roasted chiles from last fall, then mix those into some ground turkey to make the burgers. If you prefer to do burgers from a recipe, one of my favorites is spicy turkey burgers from Bon Appetit. Burgers always go well with lettuce and tomato, and it's a good week for that, with organic romas or hothouse tomatoes $1.50 a pound and lettuce $1.50 a head at Sunflower, while Sprouts has organic romaine for just 99 cents a head.

Tuesday is the first day of spring (yippee!), but since it's too early to be thinking about eating baby lettuce and pea shoots, we'll keep the celebration low key with our customary reheat of something big made over the weekend, which in this case is last night's corned beef and cabbage (wow, was that good).

Thinking about getting more fish on the menu, for Wednesday I'll catch some of the cod that Sprouts has for $4.98 a pound through then to make cod with Mediterranean salsa from Gourmet magazine. I doubt I'd buy a bunch of fresh basil just for one tablespoon, and my own basil plants are still a couple of months off, so the basil will likely be dried, but that will be just fine.

Since I have some uncooked organic cabbage still in the fridge, for Thursday I'm thinking about once again threatening the family with trying simmered cabbage Shan style from Cooking Light. That's the dish that was on deck a few weeks ago when our neighbor's tree took down our power line during a fierce windstorm, and we wound up eating out for a couple of days until we got power back.

And that will get us through to next Friday's planning. Happy upcoming spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment