Friday, March 2, 2012

Weekend Dinner Ideas

I guess it's a good thing that Friday rolls around so quickly, time to get going on dinner ideas for the weekend. I've had fish on my mind since the publication of this study on fish and the aging brain, so it will be fish tonight. Salmon is always a favorite, so I'll check out the fresh farmed Atlantic salmon at Sprouts for $8.99 a pound to make salmon with red pepper pesto from Cooking Light. You can also find previously frozen wild salmon on sale, but I'm a little leery of it this far into the year.

For tomorrow, with chicken breast tenders on sale at Sprouts for $1.99 a pound (and also plenty of boneless skinless chicken breasts in my freezer), it will be quick coq au vin from Bon Appetit. While indeed quicker than a traditional recipe, it still takes enough time to qualify as a weekend recipe in my book. To sop all those fantastic juices, I'm pleased to see that Whole Foods has introduced a country wheat sourdough baguette, in addition to the traditional white one, although organic whole wheat flour gets second billing after organic wheat flour. It's probably not possible to make a whole grain baguette that still evokes a traditional one, and this is a great compromise.

We'll be in the mood for pasta by Sunday, and the wintery pasta with butternut squash and rosemary from Bon Appetit is calling to me. But with March already having arrived, with spring almost just around the corner, I'll toss in some chopped asparagus from the 87 cents a pound sale at Sunflower while the sauce is simmering. Sunflower also has a good $1.50 a head price on red or green leaf lettuce or romaine for the side salad.

Which will get us through to Sunday's planning for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment