Friday, March 30, 2012

Weekend Dinner Ideas

Happy Friday, so let the weekend dinner planning begin. My thinking for tonight is being driven by our crazy Boulder weather. We'll want to grill something this weekend, but with the winds predicted to pick back up tomorrow and Sunday (so bad for the firefighters), it looks like our grilling should be tonight. On a fish kick, it will probably be the fresh Norwegian salmon Whole Foods has on sale for $14.99. Rumor has it that among farmed salmon, Norwegian is the best. I'll also look around to see if any fresh, wild fish is available, since if you're already paying that much, I'd bump it up to get something else like swordfish or halibut. Since I just picked up five pounds of Cuties at Sprouts for just $2.99 for the box, I'm inclined to use them for a salsa such as the one in chile-glazed salmon with orange salsa from Gourmet magazine to go with whatever fish I pick.

For tomorrow, I'm going to do a favorite stew before we get into even more summer-like weather, chipotle beef stew from Gourmet magazine. I usually make it with pre-cut stew beef, but the top sirloin on sale at Sunflower for $3.99 a pound would also be good.

Sunday is looking like a classic for that day: roast chicken with roasted vegetables. The inspiration for that one is the natural chickens that Vitamin Cottage has on sale for $1.99 a pound through tomorrow, since I haven't yet taken advantage of that. I just wing it with both the chicken and the veggies, but I've previously mentioned that the March issue of Bon Appetit has a recipe for roast chicken that, although it has only three ingredients, has some rather convoluted instructions as to how to put them together.

I'd write more extensively, but we currently have a battle for computer time happening, as the taxes needing to be finished are in competition with my blogging pastime. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment