Friday, April 26, 2013

Weekend Dinner Ideas

Looking at a beautiful Boulder weekend, here's a quick rundown for what's on deck.  I'm impressed that Sprouts has domestic wild shrimp at $6.99 a pound this week for the really big 16/20 count size, and given my recent penchant for low country cooking, that spells shrimp and grits for tonight.  Recipes for that abound, and it really doesn't require one anyway, but one of my faves has been smoky shrimp and grits from Food and Wine magazine.  I love the addition of spinach to the grits, and Sprouts also has a great price on bulk organic spinach, $3.99 a pound.  For the grits, I turn to the bulk aisle at Whole Foods.

After so many snowstorms, we're finally looking at a lovely weekend of temperatures hitting the 70s, so I'm plotting to send the family griller outside to do the majority of the weekend cooking.  Tomorrow will be the bone-in New York steaks Sprouts has for $5.99 a pound, complemented by the conventional California white corn that's three for $1 (I usually don't like conventional, but being so corn-deprived at this date, I break the rules).  Sprouts also has five pound bags of organic russet potatoes at $2.99 each, so I can dice some of those into aluminum foil packages for the griller to do the whole shebang.

We'll send that family griller back outside for Sunday, since Sprouts has Rosie's organic chicken grill packs (consisting of drumsticks and split breasts) at $2.79 a pound this week.  I'm getting increasingly picky about my chicken, reserving the big cheapo deals for something diced and well spiced, and spending a little more for these kind of dishes where the chicken is the focus.  While the griller is outside, I'll actually do some work inside, making fennel and leek gratin from my venerable Great Good Food cookbook.  A version of it doesn't seem to have made it to the web, which is too bad, since that cookbook focuses on "luscious lower-fat cooking."

No comments:

Post a Comment