Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Fresh From The Fields This Week

My dear Red Wagon Organic Farm CSA is presenting me with dilemmas on so many fronts this week. Here's what's going to be in this week's pickup (plus a very pretty veggie composition), always a good indicator of what's at the Boulder Farmers' Market as well:

Regular Share
With love, Red Wagon
With love, Red Wagon

-Beets
-Edamame
-Cherry Tomatoes
-Choice: Melon OR Tomatoes
-Choice: Bell Peppers OR Eggplant
-Choice: Tomatillos OR Broccoli OR Arugula
-Choice: Roasted Chilies OR Shishito Peppers OR Leeks

Large Share
-Melon AND Tomatoes
-Peppers AND Eggplant
-Extra Choice: Tomatillos OR Broccoli OR Arugula


Fruit Share
-Peaches

So the first dilemma is the edamame, which I always thought just came already shelled in a freezer bag. Having already conquered fava beans and kohlrabi this season, I'm sure I'll figure out what to do with edamame in its natural state as well. Second, what to do with that choice re roasted chilies or shishito peppers or leeks? All are so tempting. It's hard for me to pass up a roasted chile, but how large a stock should I put in my freezer, having already gotten some from Whole Foods plus some organic ones on a recent trip to their homeland, New Mexico. Finally, what a wonderful dilemma to have, but how many veggies can I contend with in a week, as Red Wagon is also offering a farm tour for CSA members this week, during which we'll have the opportunity to harvest our own veggies. That was great fun during their spring tour, when we learned some harvesting techniques with different implements, and I took away a big bag of veggies from it. But the CSA pickup always nets me two big bags for starters, then I'll get more at the farm tour? I'd better start some serious veggie recipe investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment