Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Few Dinner Thoughts

I'm looking for something to showcase a couple of beautiful Meyer lemons I received from a friend's garden, so I'm thinking fish. When I was at the Pearl Street Whole Foods yesterday, I noticed some nice looking cod for $9.99/lb and sockeye for $10.99/lb. I'll be stocking up on the organic veggies on sale at Sunflower this week, so sides might be baked yams, acorn squash, or steamed broccoli from there, all at 99 cents/lb, or organic russets baked from a $2.50 bag.

Saint Patricks' Day alert. With the holiday falling in the middle of next week, doing a corned beef that takes hours to cook might be a better idea for this weekend or next, although I'm still aiming for the holiday.

That said, I'm interested in trying a soup recipe recently published in Bon Appetit, lentil soup with spicy Italian sausage, fully cooking the fresh Italian chicken or pork sausage on sale at Sprouts for $2.99/lb. It's also a chance to get in more wonderful parsnips before we're on to spring vegetables.

One night this week I get to cook just for myself, which gives me a chance to indulge in unhealthy stuff I wouldn't feed my family. It will probably be a favorite invention from my starving student days, which I dubbed cheesy rice with medley of rotting vegetables. Eons ago back in Boston, my roommates and I would do a weekly shopping trip for cheap veggies at Haymarket, near Faneuil Hall. I'd concoct a rice dish to finish off the veggies at the end of their shelf life by combining things no self-respecting Boulderite would do. The basic idea is to saute at least two (probably more) slices of bacon, saute some onion in the bacon grease, add the medley of nearly past prime vegetables, then rice and liquid to cook until the rice is done. To complete the affront to the Boulder (and my) healthy living mentality, finish by melting in some grated cheese, preferably as greasy as you can find. Oh, then top with the cooked bacon. Enjoy as an indulgence once every few years, then get out the Tums.

More dinner ideas (healthier than the immediately above one) to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment