Thursday, March 25, 2010

Some Dinner Ideas

If you like salmon, hope you caught either the last day of $6.99/lb sockeye at Sprouts yesterday, or yesterday's one-day coho sale at Whole Foods. Last week was a great one for fish, and this week isn't so impressive. I'll probably pull more Copper River salmon from my freezer, although the shrimp & crab mac & cheese that's $7.49/lb at Whole Foods is positively torturing me. The frozen tuna steaks that are $5.99 for a 12 oz package at Whole Foods, or fresh tilapia $5.99/lb at Sprouts are other possibilities.


I've mentioned this recipe before, but with chicken sausage on sale for $2.99/lb at both Sunflower and Sprouts (bulk form at Sprouts), I want a hearty pizza alla salsiccia from Cooking Light one more time, while I can still get good fennel and want to turn on the oven. I've always made this with the great multigrain fresh dough found at Whole Foods, but this week, Sunflower has their own white or wheat dough at $1 off, $1.99 for 19 oz. Might give it a try. Be sure to adjust the toppings to correspond to the size dough you choose.


Another winter dish I want to get to before all this snow melts and it totally feels like spring is Bon Appetit's potato and root vegetable chowder with bacon. Organic leeks are $1.99/lb this week at Sunflower, and I still have most of a sale bag of russets to substitute for the Yukon Gold potatoes. In any case, Sunflower this week also has organic russets at 88 cents a pound, and organic leaf lettuce is $1.50 for the side salad.


More thinking to come soon. Have to get ready now for the Title Nine Blowout Sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment