Sunday, March 14, 2010

More Dinners For This Week

Thinking about the rest of the week, I'd like to do something with the shrimp Sprouts has on sale for $2.99/lb. (Even better deal is to ask at the meat/seafood counter for the 2 pound bag they come from anyway, which you'll get for less than $6, and can keep in the freezer for later.) Hate to jump straight into an adaptation, but last month's Bon Appetit has a recipe I've been wanting to try, linguine with bay scallops, fennel, and tomatoes, that strikes me as a good possibility for substituting the shrimp. The pesticide-free cherry tomatoes on sale at Sunflower make this even more of a lure (not to mention the 77 cent organic leaf lettuce there for the side salad).

Of course, the lentil soup with spicy Italian sausage, made with the sale sausage from Sprouts, makes enough for a second dinner for us.

Wednesday is of course Saint Patrick's Day, and we'll celebrate with classic corned beef and cabbage, following the ancient directions from my well worn Joy of Cooking. (I'm half Irish and know there are lots more authentic and/or gourmet Irish options, but tradition has a comforting draw on this one.) I'll go with the corned beef brisket from Whole Foods at $5.99/lb, since I'm troubled by the ingredients in the corned beef being sold by my other favorite stores, as I mentioned yesterday. If really ambitious, I might try my hand at an Irish soda bread, inspired by a wonderful article in this month's Bon Appetit that includes the recipes.

Finally, to compensate for all that beef and butter (if slathered on Irish soda bread), Thursday will probably be a more ascetic dish like tofu and broccoli stir fry over brown rice, using Sunflower's organic broccoli at 99 cents a pound. My version is a hard copy from from our dear, former Wild Oats, but recipes abound on the web, and it's simple to invent one on the fly. Just add enough ginger and red pepper flakes to make it lively.

No comments:

Post a Comment