Saturday, December 24, 2011

Best Store-Bought Broth?

I use a lot of boxed broth in all my cooking, and it can be a godsend during the busy holiday season (although stock made from scratch is obviously preferable for those with an abundance of time). Frequent readers know my devotion to Imagine organic broths and stocks, which have no MSG, come in low sodium varieties, and taste fabulous. I'm therefore surprised by the results of a chicken broth taste test done by Bon Appetit, in which Swanson certified organic free range broth came out the winner. Since it's organic and they also like its low sodium content, I'll have to check it out (checking the label for the various disguises that MSG wears), but it will be hard to shake my devotion to Imagine, which appears to have been part of the taste test.

And by the way, a very merry Christmas Eve to all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eileen,
    Strangely enough, my folks and I had this very discussion at Thanksgiving, unrelated to the Bon Appetit taste test. As you are, I'm a huge Imagine fan, whereas my Dad is a big Swanson guy. One difference we discovered is that Swanson contains sugar, whereas Imagine does not. So it could be that those of us who prefer a bit of sweetness in our broth are the Swansonites. Maybe it's a Boulder-centric taste, but I think most of us here prefer things a bit less sweet than the norm.

    Just an attempt to solve the taste test mystery, since I wholeheartedly agree that Imagine is tops!

    Hope you've been having good and yummy holidays.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha, Ms. A., I'm sure you've sleuthed that perfectly. It amazes me how much sugar pervades the national palate. Sugar in chicken broth???

    Holidays have been exceedingly yummy, necessitating extra gym time, I'm sure. Best wishes for 2012!

    ReplyDelete