Friday, December 2, 2011

Weekend Dinner Ideas

After a week of turkey leftovers, in thinking about what to have for dinner this coming week, I seem to have fish and beef on the brain, basically anything but poultry. For tonight, I'm intrigued by the farm-raised salmon that Sprouts has for just $4.99 a pound. I usually don't bother with farm-raised, but if it looks good, there's a recipe from last month's Bon Appetit that I've really been wanting to try: pan-seared salmon with pumpkin seed-cilantro pesto. If I decide against the farm-raised, an alternative would be the presumably previously frozen wild Alaskan sockeye that Whole Foods has on sale for $12.99 a pound. One of Lundberg's beautiful rice blends, like their exotic black Japonica mix, will go on the side.

For tomorrow, while in poultry rebellion, beef will be what's for dinner. To still keep it on the lighter side, we'll try a new recipe from last month's Cooking Light, sesame beef stir-fry. Sunflower has stir fry beef on sale for $4.99 a pound, but I've also found these recipes work perfectly well with regular stew beef. Since we're having rice tonight, the stir-fry will go on top of buckwheat sobas tomorrow.

For Sunday, we still need to make something big that will also serve as a midweek reheat, and with cod $7.99 a pound at Sprouts, I'm thinking it will be cod, potato, and fennel casserole from Gourmet magazine. The reviews of this are a riot; people either absolutely love it or detest it. I'm in the love camp. One reviewer said it works well with sweet potatoes, which I think I'll try (what an antioxidant boost!). The alternative would be organic russets, which Vitamin Cottage is practically giving away at $1.69 for a five pound bag.

And that will be plenty of non-poultry comfort food for our first weekend of December, which looks to be very chilly and maybe a little snowy.

No comments:

Post a Comment