Sunday, December 25, 2011

Weekday Dinner Ideas

Merry Christmas, everybody. On Sundays, I usually figure out what our dinners will be through Thursday, then the planning begins all over again on Friday. But for today, for Pete's sake (who is Pete?), it's Christmas! As for dinners all the way through Thursday, I just don't know yet! Well, I do know a couple of things. After tonight's feast of standing rib roast, we'll definitely want something vegetarian for tomorrow night, and Cooking Light's fettuccine Alfredo strikes me as perfect. Even though they have significantly lightened the recipe, it still tastes rich and creamy. Any leftovers would also make a great lunch with a slice of leftover rib roast.

And since Tuesday is our usual reheat of something big made over the weekend, we'll certainly have plenty of standing rib roast to fit the bill. You don't want to mess with actually cooking to reheat a roast done to rare. A brief encounter with a bit of warm au jus will be the maximum heat it will get. To change things up, I'm going to try a recipe from the current issue of Bon Appetit that was a contender for today, potato and celery root mash. I love celery root under any circumstances, and the horseradish should give it the perfect kick to go with the leftover roast.

Beyond that, I just don't know, and I don't care! It's Christmas - maybe that's my present to myself! Merry Christmas to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment