Saturday, July 21, 2012

Weekday Dinner Ideas

I usually get my thinking together about the rest of the week's dinners after sunrise on Sundays.  Since I'm wide awake at this ridiculous hour, I suspect the tamed-down decaf iced coffee I ordered from a local coffee shop this afternoon actually came fully leaded.  In any case, since I can't sleep, here's a quick rundown of plans for the rest of the week.

It has been so darned hot, it seems more grilling should be on deck for Monday, especially since we have such excellent choices.  Tonight's swordfish from Whole Foods' weekender sale that runs through tomorrow (see below for the post with details) was so superb, I could even see a repeat of that.  Switching to meat, I'd be inclined to do either the beef short ribs (possibly boneless, not clear from the ad) that are $3.99 a pound or the boneless country style pork ribs that are just $1.99 a pound at both Sprouts and Sunflower through Wednesday.

Tuesday is our usual reheat of something big made over the weekend, which this week is the corn and cod chowder from Food and Wine magazine.  Both Whole Foods and Sunflower have organic leaf lettuce at $1.50 a head for the side salad, and organic romas are just 99 cents a pound at Sunflower.

Wanting a pasta dish by Wednesday, I'll turn to the very large 16/20 count shrimp on sale for $7.99 a pound at both Sprouts and Sunflower through that day to do spicy shrimp and fettuccine from Cooking Light.  Same comment as above regarding organic leaf lettuce and romas, plus more romas go into the pasta.

We'll round out the week Thursday with something Asian and rice-based, a stir-fry using the stew beef that's $3.99 a pound through Wednesday at both Sprouts and Sunflower.  I find stew beef to be perfectly workable (with no slicing required) in something like sirloin and vegetable stir-fry from Cooking Light.  Love all the veggies in that as well.

Which will get us through to Friday's planning.  Now if I could just get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment