Monday, March 3, 2014

Comparing The Two Lucky's Markets

I've mentioned several times that much as I love the Lucky's Market that has been in north Boulder for eons, I rarely travel to that part of town, while the new Lucky's Market in Longmont often falls within my travel pattern. I've also mentioned that their sales actually differ, and having both sale flyers in hand for a change, I find the difference intriguing, perhaps showing how well they play to Boulder vs Longmont tastes. Of a four-page flyer, both feature produce for the front page, and it's very interesting that the produce in the Boulder flyer this week is entirely organic (broccoli just 49 cents a pound!!!!), while the Longmont sales are primarily for conventional produce (whole pineapples 88 cents each for example). While the produce I buy is almost always organic (and the Longmont store has plenty of that simply not on sale), to me the Longmont store really excels in the meat department. With Lucky's "never ever" antibiotic-free standards, prices like these in the Longmont flyer are outstanding: boneless New York strip steaks $7.99 a pound, boneless pork loin chops or roast $2.99 a pound, and whole frying chickens $1.29 a pound ($2.29 in the Boulder sale). Interestingly, the fish specials are identical between the two stores, except Boulder has to pay $1 more per pound than Longmont for PEI fresh mussels. So somebody at Lucky's knows its markets; organic produce pitched to Boulder, while Longmont gets its meat fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment