Friday, March 7, 2014

Minimal Weekend Dinner Ideas

Lack of time leads to simpler cooking and even faster writing. We'll turn to fish tacos for tonight, as I'm recently finding I like cod even better than mahi in them, and the cod fillet sale at Sprouts for $6.99 a pound made me think of them.  I used to base them on a Bon Appetit recipe, but I've strayed so far from that I won't even link. Basic idea as I've evolved it is to saute the fish with a dash of good chile powder, toss in some scallions, and wrap them including arugula dressed with lime and a dash of canola, plus salsa, and Straus' European-style plain nonfat yogurt makes a great addition as well. The runner in the family gets them in whole grain corn tortillas, while I opt for using green leaf or romaine lettuce for wrapping. This is becoming my favorite dinner.

Since we have a birthday in the family this weekend, I reserved the beautiful steaks I picked up on the last day of Lucky's Market's incredible sale to use this weekend instead of a couple of days earlier as planned. Baked potatoes and roasted asparagus (asparagus still just 98 cents a pound at Sprouts this week) will go on the side.

To attempt to mitigate all the beef-eating that's been going on here recently, we'll turn to a nearly vegetarian chowder for Sunday, potato and root vegetable chowder with bacon from Bon Appetit. Since this will also serve as an easy midweek reheat, I don't think the two slices of bacon will do any harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment