Wednesday, January 20, 2016

This Week's Hot Grocery Deals (IMHO)

We have a new sale starting today at our Boulder Sprouts stores, and it looks like a few changes to last week's sale at Whole Foods. As previously mentioned, Vitamin Cottage's big Hotline sale is reportedly on hiatus until February 1st. Here's what's looking good to me now.

In Sprouts' new sale through January 27th, the big news, especially for my gluten-free friends, is a sale of some gluten-free products at a whopping 40% off. This isn't across the board like they used to do, but does look to include many things. I particularly have my eye on Pamela's cookies listed as 40% off, and my favorite Blue Diamond Nut Thins as low as they ever go at $1.50 a box.

Otherwise at Sprouts, I'm liking chicken breast tenders (thighs also) at just $1.69 a pound, links or bulk chicken sausage $3.99 a pound, chopped up pork for stew (also as sirloin roast or chops) $2.99 a pound, stew beef $3.99 a pound (Sprouts has been known to call it a sale at $1 more than that), boneless New York steaks $8.99 a pound, and if you want to experiment with the new "in" cuts that used to be ignored, sirloin flap steak is $5.99 a pound (would probably do better if they renamed that one). In fish, previously frozen sockeye salmon fillets are $7.99 a pound, previously frozen 21/25 count raw shrimp sound good because they are both wild and from the USA for $6.99 a pound, and fresh farmed tilapia is also $6.99 a pound.

In organic produce at Sprouts, Braeburn apples are just 98 cents a pound, vine ripe tomatoes are good at $1.98 a pound, four pound bags of Valencia oranges or grapefruit are $2.98 each, and avocados are 98 cents each, but I usually buy those in conventional anyway. Speaking of conventional produce, asparagus looks refreshing at this time of year at $1.98 a pound. Elsewhere in the store, I'll be grabbing Chobani Greek yogurt at 79 cents each ($1 is more the norm for a good sale price) and checking out that gluten-free sale.

As mentioned a bit ago, Whole Foods has moved to publishing new sale flyers weekly, but repeating many of the items for a week or two, in line with its prior pattern of doing two or three week sales. That makes it awkward for me, since I don't have time to repeat everything, but then that leaves no assurance of what's going on. Their new sale flyer through the 26th has items like the basil pesto that look familiar from last week (look several posts below for that one). One thing I don't recall from last week is their own 365 organic chicken broth (regular or low sodium) at just $1.50 a box. While I'm a rabid fan of Imagine organic broth, if I've run out, 365 is my go-to brand, and the price doesn't get lower than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment