Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ode to a Bunch of Beets

Given all my recent excitement about Cure Organic Farm (see the post immediately below this for news of their new farm store opening), I should preface this by saying that I have absolutely no connection to the place, other than being a loyal customer. But the bunch of beets I just bought for $3 at their store is so stunning that it deserves its own worshipful description. Granted, organic beet bunches can be had at our local natural grocery stores frequently for half that price, but I've rarely found any, even in our best grocery stores, that had tops fresh enough to eat. On the contrary, this bunch from Cure sports not only some gorgeous, hefty beets at the bottom, but also the most glorious beet greens I've ever seen. This one bunch of beets completely filled my standard sized grocery shopping bag, with the tops spilling out in all directions, to boot. Some of the greens will go into tonight's sausage risotto with spring greens, but there will be plenty left to saute as a side for tomorrow night's chicken cordon bleu from Sprouts. Then there are the beets themselves to enjoy, wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment