Friday, January 27, 2012

Weekend Dinner Ideas

It has been a long week, but dinner planning must go on. Because of that long week, I'll go easy on myself tonight with something simple: either the bone-in ribeyes on sale at Sunflower for $4.99 a pound, or the crab cakes on sale at Whole Foods for $10.99 a pound. Either store has good prices on organic produce to go on the side, including chard or spinach $1.50 a bunch at Sunflower, and green kale $1.50 a bunch at Whole Foods.

I'll have more energy by tomorrow, when I plan to try a new recipe from the January/February issue of Cooking Light, Tuscan white bean soup with escarole. Since I'm pretty sure I'll head to Whole Foods for the escarole, I guess that speaks to getting the crab cakes from there for tonight. Whole Foods also has organic leaf lettuce on sale for $1.50 a bunch for the side salad. (Organic leaf lettuce is even lower at $1.29 a head at Sprouts, but sometimes there seems to be a size difference.)

I'm thinking light food for Sunday (maybe in preparation for the feasting we'll likely do next Super Bowl Sunday), and with ground chicken breast on sale at Sprouts for the excellent price of $2.97 a pound (Sunflower's sale price is $3.99 a pound), it will be my poultry spin on Thai beef cabbage cups. Rice will go on the side, and I've stocked up on Lundberg rice bags at Sprouts' 25% off gluten-free sale that runs through February 1st.

Which at least gets us through the weekend. Temperatures may hit 60 here in Boulder by Sunday, so I think I picked a good day to do something light and quick then.

No comments:

Post a Comment