Sunday, January 19, 2014

Weekday Dinner Ideas

Busy day, possibly including a peek at football as our temps are supposed to top 60 degrees this afternoon, so this is quick.

Tomorrow will be a total cheat, since we've been dining pretty well all weekend.  Since today is the last day of Whole Foods' weekend sale (see post a bit below) that includes their take and bake pizzas at 40% off, that's what I'll grab today for a very easy dinner tomorrow.  The plain variety works super well when dressed up with vegetarian Yves pepperoni, sliced shrooms, maybe a little onion, whatever your fancy.  Too bad Whole Foods has downsized these pizzas so dramatically, but they're still yummy and definitely convenient.

For Tuesday, I'm thinking fish tacos, since mahi mahi seems to be on sale everywhere, and I think it makes the best taco.  Sprouts has previously frozen mahi fillets for just $4.99 a pound through Wednesday, Whole Foods has a "mahi mahi portion" of a size not specified in the sale flyer at $5 each (but you can bet that portion isn't a pound, the sale price at Sprouts), and the new Lucky's Market in Longmont has mahi fillets for $8.99 a pound.  Fish taco recipes abound, and my favorite one that I unfortunately don't have time to look up right now calls for red snapper as the fish, but mahi works even better.

Wednesday will be our usual reheat of something previously made, which this week is tonight's shrimp and scallop posole from Bon Appetit, although I'm making it exclusively with scallops tonight on the last day of Sprouts' 72-hour sale that includes 30/40 count sea scallops at $6.99 a pound.

For Thursday, I'll dig into my stock of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts from past sales at the new Lucky's (although they're also $1.99 a pound at the Longmont store through Wednesday, with Lucky's "never ever" standards) to do what's essentially a one pot dinner, crystallized ginger chicken, a recipe originally seen in the Daily Camera but has been picked up by somebody on the web here.  Sprouts and Lucky's in Longmont have organic garnet yams (jewel too at Lucky's) for just 98 cents a pound through Wednesday.

Which gets us through a rather pleasant-looking week.  I know I'm supposed to say Go Broncos, but I'll leave that to those with more enthusiasm for football.  Besides, although the New England Patriots are associated with Boston, they actually play in a stadium in Foxborough (unfortunately usually shortened to Foxboro), which is so far south in Massachusetts, it's just minutes from the Rhode Island border, and therefore close to some of my east coast relatives. So the outcome will be good all around for me.  Heresy, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment