Monday, August 29, 2011

How's Your Eat Local Week Going?

So how are you doing as we progress through Eat Local Week, emphasizing foods that have been produced locally? As far as the produce goes, I'm finding it pretty easy. I stocked up at Saturday's Boulder Farmers' Market, supplemented by veggies from Alfalfa's and Whole Foods with "local" signage, and so far I think the most travelled veggie I've eaten since Saturday has been an organic tomato from nearby Firestone. Using seasonal menus that emphasize produce helps, too, without my having even planned it that way. Today's calabacitas, with squash, corn, and maybe some tomatoes is a natural for buying locally right now, as is Thursday's veggie-laden pasta dish. The proteins have been my weak point with this project, as we eat a lot of fish, which is a pretty tough call to eat locally in Colorado, unless you're really into trout.

No comments:

Post a Comment