Friday, November 4, 2011

Weekend Dinner Ideas

If it's Friday, it's time to get some ideas together for weekend dinners. I'm in the mood for a big, comfy casserole for tonight, and Sprouts' sale on fresh ricotta cheese ($1.99 a pound) prompted me to think of an old favorite, baked rigatoni with ricotta and collard greens from MyRecipes.com. I like it with the collard greens but have also had success using other greens like chard or spinach, or a mix. Sprouts also has bulk mozzarella the recipe calls for on sale for an impressive $3.99 a pound. If you're not in the mood for a totally vegetarian dinner, sauteed chicken sausage, on sale at both Sprouts and Sunflower, could go along with it.

For tomorrow, my planning is centering on wanting to try a very easy but fabulous sounding dish that appeared this week in the New York Times, simple Provencal winter squash gratin. Since that would be a side, I'll pair it with some salmon. I wasn't lucky enough to make it to Whole Foods' one-day salmon sale this week, but they also have some in their regular sale, plus Sprouts is doing a salmon sale as well. With the oven running, I'll roast some of the $1.29 a pound asparagus from Sunflower, too.

We'll be in the mood for something a little heftier by Sunday, so I'm thinking chipotle beef stew from Gourmet magazine. For the beef, I could either chop the top sirloin steak that's just $3.97 a pound at Sprouts, or take the easy route and use the pre-cut beef stew meat that's $3.99 a pound at Sunflower.

And that gets us through another autumn weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment