Saturday, February 18, 2012

Rethinking Sunday Dinner

I've already posted plans through tomorrow that include a big fish chowder, smoky shrimp and halibut stew, from Bon Appetit. But duh, with Mardi Gras coming up on Tuesday and no time to compose an appropriate feast on a weeknight, why not replace this weekend's stew with a gumbo that can be a quick reheat on Tuesday? Since my original thinking was inspired by the sale on big domestic shrimp at Sunflower, I'm heading in the direction of a shrimp gumbo. Recipes abound on the web, like sausage and shrimp gumbo from Southern Food. I'm fortunate to have the book, "Talk About Good II: Le Livre De Cuisine Des Acadiens," the second volume produced by the Junior League of Lafayette, Louisiana way back in 1979, acquired on a long ago trip to New Orleans, so what better place to turn for a gumbo recipe? Looks to me like I'll be doing "Mom's shrimp gumbo," a contribution that begins with the instruction, "Fry 4 strips of bacon. Eat bacon and use the fat to saute 1 bunch of green onions..." How could anyone resist an instruction like that??? (Of course, I'd limit the bacon to two strips, to tone it down just a tad, but that's Boulder in 2012.)

No comments:

Post a Comment