Sunday, February 26, 2012

Weekday Dinner Ideas

Trying to get things together after our power outage, these plans actually will start with tonight, since that will serve as our midweek reheat as well. With chicken sausage so low at Sunflower ($1.99 a pound) and also on sale at Sprouts, I'm reminded of a good winter dish, lentil soup with spicy Italian sausage from Bon Appetit. The recipe calls for fully cooked sausage, but it only takes a few minutes more to cook the raw sausage. And it's become obvious that I have a penchant for dishes that call for throwing in a whole lot of spinach.

The current sale at Whole Foods will end on Tuesday, and since I haven't yet gotten my hands on one of their large cinque formaggio pizzas, that will be on deck for tomorrow. I like to dress it up with mushrooms, onion, and a package of Yves veggie pepperoni, still keeping it a vegetarian dish.

Tuesday will be our customary reheat of something big made over the weekend, which as you've just seen will be the lentil soup with spicy Italian sausage. The only thing I'll have to make will be the salad.

Sprouts' 88 cents a pound sale on asparagus has already figured into our weekend, and since Wednesday will be the last day of the sale, and we haven't yet had a rice dish, it will have to be asparagus and leek risotto with prosciutto from Bon Appetit.

For Thursday, I expected to have some leftover cabbage from the simmered cabbage Shan style that didn't get made because of the power outage, so instead I have an entire head of cabbage with which to make Thai beef cabbage cups from Cooking Light. I like to make it with ground poultry instead, and both Sprouts and Sunflower have ground chicken on sale through Wednesday.

Which gets us through to Friday's planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment