Friday, June 22, 2012

Weekend Dinner Ideas

With the high temperatures predicted for this weekend in Boulder (100 for tomorrow, and pushing it today and Sunday), I'm tempted to say chuck the cooking entirely, and either go out or order in!  But since that's not really my style, I'm still outlining plans I think will get us through the weekend cooking at home.

With 40% off chicken sales at both Sprouts and Sunflower this week, chicken clearly needs to be on deck.  For tonight, I'm thinking about a quick dinner that was a great success when the sauce recipe was published a couple of months ago, doing chicken breasts served with mushroom sauce from Cooking Light.  Depending on my mood and how stultifying the temperature feels by dinner time, the chicken breasts will either go on a grill pan on the stove or outdoors on the grill.  And while I'm not much of a sauce-maker, this mushroom one is super easy and also delicious.

With tomorrow expected to hit triple digits, dinner will definitely be done out on the grill.  I'll take advantage of the fresh Copper River salmon fillets at Sprouts for $9.99 a pound to put some on the grill either plain, or possibly dressed up as grilled salmon and brown butter couscous, also from Cooking Light.  A few veggies also done on the grill would be all that's needed to round out dinner.

Wearying of the heat, we'll stay with the grill for Sunday, going back to those chicken sales at Sprouts and Sunflower to do grilled chicken and ratatouille from Bon Appetit.  I'll increase the quantities a bit so that this can also serve as our easy midweek reheat, since we're well out of the season for hot casseroles from the oven, and I'm not much feeling like a stovetop soup or chowder in this heat, either.  Let it be extras done on the grill!

Which will get us through to Sunday's planning for the rest of the week.  Stay cool out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment