Friday, June 29, 2012

Weekend Dinner Ideas

With an expected return to triple digit heat today after our recent cold snap of upper 90s, I'm throwing in the towel for tonight and going with picnic food, albeit classy picnic food.  Mark Bittman's 101 20-minute dishes for inspired picnics from the New York Times is my favorite go-to for easy yet special hot weather food.  The very second idea, pesto chicken rolls, will be on deck tonight, as I still have homemade pesto in my freezer from last fall, while my current basil plants are advancing nicely.  The rolls can also be done with good quality poultry cold cuts instead of getting out the grill to cook some chicken, eliminating time, mess, and fire danger.

For tomorrow, wanting something big we can reheat later in the week, and certainly not wanting anything coming out of a hot oven, I'm thinking a variant of shrimp and scallop posole from Bon Appetit, using the quite large 16/20 shrimp that are $6.99 a pound at both Sprouts and Sunflower, in the stores' newly merged status.  With scallops running at sky high prices, I'll probably make it entirely with shrimp, or perhaps cut in a bit of cod that's also $6.99 at both stores.

We'll stick with the $6.99 seafood sale at both Sprouts and Sunflower for Sunday, turning this time to the swordfish.  I usually avoid previously frozen swordfish, but the fish I got recently at Sprouts was surprisingly good.  It would normally go out on the grill, but with our super-dry weather conditions, unless one of our afternoon storms actually produces substantial rain in addition to lightning, I might just stick with the grill pan indoors.  And I'm even thinking about skipping the grill for the 4th of July next week, heresy!

No comments:

Post a Comment