Friday, June 18, 2010

Desperately Seeking Inspiration

Hmmm, this week's lackluster sales aren't leading me anywhere. I guess we'll start with what we know: it's going to be hot, Father's Day is coming up, grilling is looking good, and fish is the primary area of interest to me in this week's sales. We'll start with the fish, which I could see doing two days in a row. I'm thrilled that Sprouts is advertising fresh wild Alaskan cod for $6.99/lb, and in hot weather, that deserves just a quick saute with a crack of pepper and a squeeze of lemon, with some potatoes mashed with buttermilk on the side.

Then we'll be into the weekend proper, and time to get the grill going. Sprouts is winning again, with fresh wild salmon for $12.99/lb. Some herbed rice could go on the side, along with some sort of find from tomorrow's Farmers Market (oh, the joy of serendipity). Since this week's advertised organic emphasis is on fruits rather than veggies, I'll also make up a little fruit salsa, involving organic fruit of choice, a chopped roma tomato, diced avocado, a little red onion, olive oil, and lemon or lime juice.

Then for Father's Day, with more hot weather expected and steaks on sale everywhere (look to the left margin for options), I suppose we'll be grilling some steaks. It's fun to grill foil packages of diced potatoes (either the white or yam variety) as well. If I don't find another side at the Farmers Market, I'll probably do sauteed zucchini, cherry tomatoes, olives, and basil. It's from Bon Appetit but oddly isn't on their site, so I found it elsewhere.

Certainly not the most inspired start to this week's planning, but maybe some brilliant idea will strike when it's least expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment