Monday, June 28, 2010

Rushing to Complete the Rest of the Week

Good thing tonight's dinner will be so easy, as I might not have time to get anything together to do any more than the simple reprise it will be. The sausage with lentils and spinach from Bon Appetit that I made a few nights ago made a truly epic amount of food. We'll do a quick reheat of it tonight with an easy salad on the side, but I'm afraid it's hardly going to make a dent in that bowl of leftovers in the fridge. I swear what's in that leftover bowl is growing.

After two purely or nearly vegetarian meals, we'll then capitalize on some of this week's chicken breasts on sale at Sprouts, Sunflower, and Vitamin Cottage, as I'm in the mood for chicken burritos with chiles and corn. This would be even better soon, when the corn will be local, but we're officially into summer and ready to eat corn now. At least the cilantro will be beautifully local and fresh.

Then we'll do a rice dish to combine two of our themes of the week: stocking up on asparagus at Sprouts for $1.69/lb while the sale lasts through Wednesday, and continuing to use the fresh mozzarella I picked up at the Whole Foods one-day sale last week. That spells some sort of risotto with mozzarella and fresh herbs from my herb pots, with the asparagus either cooked into the risotto itself, or served as the side veggie. The big caprese salad I made over the weekend only used two of the mozzarella balls I bought at the sale, when I thought it would use up three. This rice dish will make use of the third, but that still leaves me two more to go (I got a little enthusiastic about the deal). At least I have a couple more weeks before their expiration date.

Finally, we'll round out the week with some sort of stir fry, serving it over soba noodles, since we've just had rice the night before. Incorporating broccoli sounds appealling, since local broccoli has just made its appearance within the past couple of weeks. Bon Appetit has a recipe that would be perfect, adding in asparagus yet again, plus the sale chicken: chicken, asparagus, and broccoli stir-fry. Sounds like its name was concocted directly from this week's shopping list. I have a couple of other possibilities too, but no time to continue with them now - maybe later in the week, as we get closer.

And that's all she wrote, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment