Friday, June 4, 2010

Update on Copper River Salmon

If you're looking to buy Copper River salmon in Boulder this weekend, I'd suggest calling ahead before making any special trips. The Pearl Street Whole Foods is sold out of Copper River sockeye until next week. They're expecting a delivery of Copper River king tomorrow, but it will be selling for about $30 a pound. The Baseline Whole Foods is also sold out. The Superior store had one Copper River fillet left, but I didn't ask them to hold it, and in the 15 minutes it took me to get to the store, it had been sold. Don't know what's happening in the rest of Boulder's stores, but I imagine it's a similar scene. I know the river is periodically closed to fishing to protect the fish, and one guy told me this recently happened and is what's affecting its availability this weekend. Meanwhile, as an alternative I bought a beautiful piece of fresh salmon from the another Alaskan river, that had just been delivered to the Superior store this morning, but at a price so high, I felt I should take out extra insurance on it for the trip home. I should have gone back to Sprouts, where Columbia River king is $14.99/lb, but was just too burned out at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment