Sunday, April 11, 2010

More Dinners For This Week

With good sales and great stuff from the farmers market, filling out this weeks' dinners has been really easy, with one exception. I'll use the chicken sausage from either Sunflower or Sprouts for $2.99/lb and the fabulous mixed greens I picked up at the farmers market from Cure Organic Farm to make sausage risotto with spring greens. Might play with adding some of the green garlic I got from Red Wagon Organic Farm, and saute some spinach from the market on the side.

As usual, there's a weekend dish that makes plenty for a quick reprise, and this time it's the pasta dish I made with ricotta and greens. Will add some fresh fennel from the Sunflower $1.99/lb sale to the side salad.

Now's where I am conflicted. A pork stir fry, using Sunflower's $2.49/lb stew meat sounds good, but I'm not sure which direction it will go. Most likely will be garlic pork with tomato and basil, served over brown rice, and using Sunflower's organic tomatoes for $1.99/lb. But Mark Bittman did an unusual thing three or four weeks ago, publishing a wonderful-sounding winter recipe right on the cusp of spring, winter squash and pork stir fry. It has all my favorite ingredients, but seems a bit retro, given the beautiful spring weather we're having.

Finally, I'm finishing off the five pound bag of organic russets that the Pearl Street Whole Foods had for $2.50, and it has the best large baking-sized potatoes I've ever seen in a bag, so I'll go for stuffed baked potatoes. That's an improvised recipe, probably including some ricotta left over from making the big pasta dish, some smoked cheddar from Sunflower or parmesan from Sprouts, and maybe the green garlic from Red Wagon Organic Farm will find its way into them as well. Whatever, they always turn out really well.

And that does it for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment