Wednesday, April 14, 2010

New Prices Are Up, Plus an Observation

New prices from the sales promotions that start today at Sprouts, Sunflower, and Whole Foods (always naming them in alphabetical order to avoid any favoritism) are posted in the deals sidebar to the left. Special sales at Vitamin Cottage (should we list them under V for Vitamin Cottage or N for Natural Grocers?) have already gotten their own posting, and those prices last all the way through May 15th. I'm already shopping at three stores regularly, but I must admit, I have to start paying much closer attention to Vitamin Cottage too. A friend (Ms. A, you know who you are) recently mentioned that she found Vitamin Cottage's everyday prices to be particularly competitive, and gently suggested that if I found myself in the store to collect some sale items, I might check out some everyday prices as well. At least with the short shopping list I had with me a couple of days ago, was she ever right! My Rocky Mountain Ocean Lip Trip was $3.79 there, which I snagged right up, because when I crossed the parking lot to a store that shall go unnamed, I priced the same product at $4.59. The Earth Balance spread that was on my list was $3.85 at Vitamin Cottage, and I found the same to be $4.69 across the parking lot. I know the larger store across the lot has many of its own strengths, especially in its own brand name, but I think I now have a lot more shopping to do. Heaven help me when the Whole Foods store at Broadway and Arapahoe becomes an independent reincarnation of Alfalfa's (yeah!), and Lucky's (currently too far north for me) possibly moves into the Baseline Whole Foods. I'll be spending my nights dreaming of price comparisons. Go Boulder!

1 comment:

  1. Just a reminder when comparing meats from WF and Natural Grocers/Vitamin Cottage, with meats sold in conventional grocery stores. WF and NGVC only carry meats that were not raised with added hormones and antibiotics, and sell meats were primarily fed real pasture grass. This is safer, healthier, tastier, more responsible and sustainable -- and more expensive meat.

    In contrast, the USDA "natural" meat found at conventional food competitors like Sprouts, Sunflower and Safeway can be raised with synthetic hormones, heavy antibiotics, GMO feed, and/or purely grain fed in concentrated feed lot operations. Yeah, it should not be called "natural", but it can be sold for $1.99 a pound on sale. Buyer Beware!

    ReplyDelete