Thursday, April 22, 2010

Some Dinner Ideas For The Week

Don't why I'm in the mood for a fritatta in such gloomy weather - maybe it's the comfort food aspect. Mark Bittman's minimalist idea, more-vegetable-than-egg frittata can form the basis for any number of variations. It's great using braising mix for convenience, and if I can't wait to get some from the Farmers Market, the Pearl Street Whole Foods sells their own very nice version next to the bulk salad mix. Also, organic leeks are running $1.99/lb there, and would be a tasty starting point for the frittata.

Looking for a pasta dish, and with shrimp $3.97/lb at Sunflower, think I'll return to a favorite from Cooking Light, spicy shrimp and fettuccine. The organic hothouse tomatoes that are $1.99/lb at Sunflower would go well in it, too.

Next, I'm thinking Bon Appetit's sausage and lentils with spinach, with the spinach coming from the Farmers Market and chicken sausage on sale at Sprouts. I made this once before and it was really good, especially served over brown rice. My only hesitation is that something about it reminds me of the early "health food" days, when little dives on The Hill dished out stuff like plain brown rice with grated raw carrot. An irrational connection, since this dish is light years from that time.

More ideas shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment