Sunday, April 25, 2010

More Dinners For This Week

Haven't quite finished planning for this week's dinners, but most is in place. Horrors, they're changing the forecast for today, moving showers up as early as six this evening, and I've already committed to ginger-soy grilled steak from Bon Appetit, using the top sirloin on sale at Sunflower, with grilled yam spears on the side. Am also planning on skillet greens with cumin and tomatoes, also from Bon Appetit, using the kale and hothouse tomatoes (rather than drained canned ones called for) on sale at Sunflower. Worst case, if the showers do move in early, is that the steak will wind up on the grill pan and the yam spears in the oven, so it all works.

It would then be time for a rice dish, and one of my spring favorites is asparagus and leek risotto with prosciutto. Organic leeks are not bad at $1.99/lb right now at Whole Foods, where they also have cooking prosciutto for dicing available in the deli, but nobody is running a great deal on asparagus, so I'll take what I find. This dish is also good made with snap peas instead of asparagus.

Last night's sausage and lentils with spinach made so much, it just might find itself reheated for a super easy dinner. A word of caution regarding lentils: I used French green lentils instead of the brown ones called for, because I only found green or French green when I happened to be at Whole Foods. I've used their French ones before and didn't notice a big difference in cooking time, but last night they took a good three times the amount of time called for in the recipe for the brown variety.

I'd then be looking for a pasta dish, and am thinking of trying fettuccine with peas, asparagus, and pancetta, which is the cover recipe of the new May issue of Bon Appetit. Looks like I could add some of the green garlic I picked up at this week's Farmers Market. The 1/3 cup whipping cream is so small, I might leave it in for the flavor, but what to do with the remaining 2/3 cup of pure calories and cholesterol?

Still one more dinner to figure out, maybe it will be a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment