Thursday, April 1, 2010

Starting on This Week's Dinners

I'm in a techno-rebellious mood today, and have turned to some much-loved but long neglected cookbooks for dinner ideas, meaning no links. Wanting to use the cod that's $4.97/lb at Sprouts, I picked up my wonderful Mediterranean Light cookbook, and remembered the recipe for Egyptian baked fish with cumin and coriander. It's a simple, quick one - saute onion and garlic in an ovenproof casserole, scent it with cumin and cilantro, lay fish over it, pour on some stock, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes in a hot oven. Squeeze lots of lemon on it and serve over brown rice, delicious.

I also dusted off my beloved Chez Panisse Pasta, Pizza & Calzone book, a lovely, seasonal approach, and found a really appealing pasta in the spring section: fettuccine, wild mushrooms, & prosciutto. The portobellos on sale at Whole Foods could go into it, as well as the cooking prosciutto they sell for a good price in the deli. The recipe calls for some sugar snap peas. Doubt I'll find them yet on opening day of the Boulder Farmer's Market Saturday, but I might be able to supplement with some fresh spinach.

Wanting to tap into the pork loin roast price wars for Easter dinner (see deals sidebar to the left), I turned back to the web, as I confess that I've never cooked a pork roast before. Settled on a really easy one, roast pork loin with garlic and rosemary, originally published in Bon Appetit. For a side, might do golden potatoes with caper-brown butter crumbs from Gourmet magazine, or just roast some sweet potato spears on the side. Green veggies will depend on what turns up at the Farmer's Market. There's an old French recipe for lettuce and peas sauteed together that might be a possibility.

More to follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment