Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wondering About Atlantic Salmon

I've just finished reading Fall From Grace, a novel by Richard North Patterson.  Set on Martha's Vineyard, it contained at least two mentions of fresh salmon on menus of swanky restaurants.  I no longer have the book in hand, as others were waiting for it from the library, but the impression I retain is that the references were to local salmon.  While we fortunately have fresh, wild salmon coming from the Pacific coast (and yes, we're into the season - Copper River is here!), I had thought that wild Atlantic salmon had been fished to extinction.  Looking into it a little bit, I find that while commercial fishing of wild Atlantic salmon no longer exists, wild Atlantic salmon are precariously hanging onto life in small, but increasing, numbers.  So I do wonder if wild Atlantic salmon would in fact be served at a Martha's Vineyard restaurant.  I poked around a bit, looking at some sample menus online, and found plenty offering salmon, but in my limited research, I only encountered listings like "fresh salmon," "Atlantic salmon" (which typically refers to the farmed variety), or "wild salmon," but never the words "wild" and "Atlantic" together.  I guess someday I'll just have to research this myself onsite.

No comments:

Post a Comment