Wednesday, November 14, 2012

This Week's Hot Grocery Deals (IMHO)

We have new sales starting today at our Boulder Sprouts and Whole Foods, and I still need to check out the new one going on at Vitamin Cottage.  Here's what's looking good to me that I know of in the new ones.

At Sprouts through November 22nd, value packs of boneless skinless chicken breasts are $1.99 a pound, but given the turkey feasting that will be coming up, I'll probably skip more poultry this week.  Fresh Atlantic farmed salmon fillets are $4.99 a pound, and Bell & Evans fresh organic turkeys are $3.99 a pound while supplies last, matching the organic price below for Whole Foods.  Sprouts' "presidential cut" standing rib roast is $9.99 a pound, and boneless ribeye steaks are $10.99 a pound.  In organic produce, pomegranates are $1.29 each (basically the same as today's one-day sale at Whole Foods, but Whole Foods doesn't specify organic, so I'd assume they're conventional there), Italian squash is 99 cents a pound, five pound bags of russet potatoes are just $2.99 each, butternut squash is 88 cents a pound, garnet or jewel yams are 99 cents a pound, three pound bags of yellow onions are $1.99 each, bulk spinach or spring salad mix remains great at $3.99 a pound ($6.99 elsewhere), and there are great organic apple deals.  Elsewhere in the store, I'm delighted to see bulk roast coffee at just $6.99 a pound, which will include my fave organic Fair Trade varieties (too bad that can't be a stock up item - coffee obviously has to be as fresh as possible).  The big 28 ounce size of Muir Glen organic tomatoes is $2 a can, some Horizon Organic "baking essentials" (I see sour cream in the picture) will be 25% off, and my fave Blue Diamond Nut Thins are $2 a box.

At Whole Foods through the 27th, Diestel organic turkeys are supposedly $1 off at $3.99 a pound, but that's the same price they were when I did my price comparison smackdown back on the 6th, using prices on the Whole Foods website.  Spiral sliced hams from American Homestead or Wellshire are $4.99 a pound, and fresh Norwegian (farmed) salmon is $13.99 a pound, reminding us of how good that one-day sale at something around $8.99 a pound was a few weeks ago.  The sale price of my favorite Maryland style crab cakes has bumped up to $13.99 a pound, but especially in busy holiday times, they're worth it.  Organic russet potatoes and yellow onions are 99 cents a pound (but you'll have a better price buying by the bag at Sprouts), organic acorn, butternut, or spaghetti squash are all $1 a pound (88 cents for the butternut at Sprouts), and organic cauliflower is $1.99 a pound.  I love everything coming out of Whole Foods' Bakehouse; this time the sale is their cranberry walnut bread for $2.99 a loaf, and I'm just discovering that breads incorporating fruit are more versatile than I had thought.  A large "four cheese" pizza (probably formerly the cinque formaggio, I assume, so did we get reduced by a cheese?) is $8.99, which I believe is a $1 bump up on the sale price, but they're really good on their own or dressed with toppings you  supply.  Finally, if your own gravy runs out before the turkey leftovers do, Imagine's organic gravy is $2 for a one pound box.

No comments:

Post a Comment