Friday, November 30, 2012

Weekend Dinner Ideas

Time to get back to planning some dinner ideas, but with last week's turkey-induced reprieve, I'm inclined more than ever to make this quick.  For a nice change of pace, tonight will be baked polenta with fontina and tomato sauce from Bon Appetit.  This oddly never made it to the web that I can see on bonappetit.com or its sister, epicurious.com, but somebody else has captured it here.  If we're up for chicken sausage on the side after all that turkey, it goes very well with it, and the Italian variety is $2.99 at Sprouts this week.

Tomorrow, we won't exactly be detoxing after the Thanksgiving week excesses, but with such beautiful weather and mild temperatures, and 100% grass fed organic boneless New York steaks on sale at Sprouts for just $8.99 a pound, we'll be grilling, albeit in the dark tomorrow evening.  Haven't figured out a thing about the sides, but organic diced yams in foil on the grill are always good, too.

We'll still need a big weekend item for a midweek easy reheat, so Sunday will be a nostalgic look back at summer with corn and cod chowder from Food and Wine magazine.  Our fabulous Munson's corn season being long gone, the corn will come from a frozen bag, but will still be good.  Both Vitamin Cottage and Sprouts have outstanding deals on five pound bags of potatoes, and Sprouts has previously frozen cod for $7.99 a pound this week.  I also lighten the whole thing by making the milk 1% fat and using a bit of half and half for richness, nothing like the one cup heavy cream called for.

So once again, I promised myself I'd keep it shorter, but I've gone to the max that I have time to do these days.  Maybe next week I'll keep it shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment