Friday, November 16, 2012

Weekend Dinner Ideas

So with the one-day sale happening today at Whole Foods, with fine New York strip steaks $9.99 a pound, there's no question that beef's what's for dinner tonight.  Temperatures will be mild enough that it will go on the grill, albeit in the dark.  Baked potatoes (or possibly diced potatoes done in foil on the grill) will go on the side, since organic russets seem to have entered something of a price war.  Whole Foods has them for 99 cents a pound this week, a respectable sale price for the loose ones, but five pound bags are a much better price at $2.99 each at Sprouts, and I've just learned that Vitamin Cottage is practically giving away five pound bags for $1.79 each.

Having indulged in lots of red meat tonight, we'll compensate tomorrow with a vegetarian and seasonal soup, sweet potato and butternut squash soup from the New York Times.  This is especially appealing, since not only will it help compensate for a red meat fling, but it will also help fill a hole I'll feel later in the week, because this year I'm dropping sweet potatoes and hard squash from my Thanksgiving menu to lighten it up (more on that later).

I'm looking at pasta for Sunday, but it presents a quandry.  With tonight's beef-fest on deck, I don't want to do a beef sauce, and I'm avoiding poultry, since we'll be looking at that for days from Thursday on.  Although I like lots of vegetarian pasta recipes, back-to-back vegetarian dinners don't go over well in this household, so my attention is turning to an unlikely pasta protein, fish.  I'm thinking about trying to recreate a lightened version of pasta with salmon in cream sauce that the long-departed European Cafe in Boulder used to do extremely well at its height.  I'll use the $4.99 a pound fresh Atlantic salmon from Sprouts, or possibly the $13.99 a pound Norwegian salmon from Whole Foods for the fish, and I'll try to incorporate it into Cooking Light's marvelously lightened version of fettuccine Alfredo.  Should be interesting.

More to come later for the rest of the week, including Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to the sweet potato and butternut squash soup recipe...it looks great and not too complicated (my favorite!). Have you tried it yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I've tried it, and gone back to it at least a couple of times, so I'd recommend it from my experience. Yup, simplicity is a virtue, and if you happen to have an immersion blender, this one gets even easier. And of course, it benefits from use of Imagine cooking stock or just the broth!

      Delete